Driving under the influence is a serious crime and something that society has placed in a very negative light. Have arrests on your record can damage your ability to drive and seek employment. Not only that, but a conviction will come up on your background check for years to come. If you’ve found this blog post, you’re probably looking for information about what to do next – where to hire a drunk driving lawyer, Denver specific laws to consider, etc. Being charged with a DUI or DWAI in Colorado needs prompt attention and you do need good legal representation. There’s no reason that making one mistake needs to ruin your entire life.
Tips if You’ve Been Charged With a DUI or DWAI
Time is of the essence in any DUI or DWAI case. Here are some tips to get you started.
- Hire an Attorney. You need a competent attorney who will fight for your best interests. Even if you think the blood alcohol level is too high or your case is not defendable for whatever reason, that’s not how the law works. A good attorney can look at the specifics of your case and help you find the best resolution.
- Request a DMV Hearing. The DMV hearing and the court case are separate. You only have seven days in Colorado to request a DMV hearing after the incident. If you haven’t requested a hearing, your driving privileges can be suspended automatically.
- Don’t Drive With A Suspension. This may seem like common sense, but a lot of a people continue to drive once their license has been suspended. Don’t do this. If you’re caught driving with a suspended license while charges are still pending, it will have a very negative impact on both cases.
- Provide All Information to Your Lawyer. Make sure that you don’t leave anything out when talking to your lawyer. They can walk you through exactly what will happen in court and what steps they’re taking on your behalf.
- Be On Time. It’s important that you’re on time for all court dates. It’s also important that you’re dressed professionally and cleanly.
Have You Been Arrested for a DWAI or DUI?
If you live in the Denver area and have been arrested for a drunk driving related crime, time is of the essence. The Law Office of Kevin Pauly offers expert representation at cases such as yours. We can walk you through all of the specifics of your case, explain the types of defense that will be most effective, and help you mitigate the damages this mistake will cause you long-term. You want to get your life back on track and we want to help you do just that. Contact us to day to discuss your case.